Tuesday, April 8, 2008

When I Said Random, I Meant It, a.k.a. A Springy Burst of Work

I have been trying to build up a good stash of material to play with when the mood strikes. While I know I can whip up a mean Halloween costume, sewing other kinds of things is iffy at best for me and I hate to pay full price for fabric only to make very expensive rags. In order to accomplish this good stash, I've been frequenting the thrift store and buying up their stock of fabrics. The following have been my recent hauls. Some are totally hilarious but were too cheap to pass up. All of them were purchased for under two dollars, most of them had more than 5 yards.







In addition, I have been saving various items that would normally go into the trash or recycle bin and trying to breathe new life into them. This item used to be an oatmeal cannister. I removed the paper label to reveal plain uncorrugated brown cardboard. I then painted it with white acrylic paint and a sponge-on-a-stick (my new favorite tool) and let it dry overnight. I then used a textural stencil kit to place the leafy design on it. I'm still not sure what it is going to be useful for but it did make me happy.



The last item was inspired by some crafty people on Craftster. I found a great tutorial for fabric flowers and was up half the night trying to make it work for me. I had little luck until this afternoon when I decided to try again. Again, I have no idea at this time what to use this for, but it is pretty and made me smile and feel springy even though it is gray outside.

1 comment:

ThreadBeaur said...

Wow You found some great fabric! I am a thrift store junkie, and I am always on the look out for fabric for my cloth bags on etsy! All of the fabric I use is from the thrift stores, there are some good ones around!