Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Finally, something worth sharing.

I'm a singer. Mostly, these days, I sing at church and funerals and weddings. Lately I have been asked to do some things at funerals that are well beyond my comfort zone. Most recently, it was to sing with two unknown singers with no practice for a funeral service. I tried to advise the bereaved against it but she couldn't get past how good we sound on a Sunday. She just would not or could not believe that a whole host of clunkers comes out before the sound is magnificent. Just throw some musically inclined people together and magic is going to happen, right? Wrong.

I find the same to be true with crafting. I haven't been posting much lately because most of my recent projects have been lame-o failures. Some have been useful but not really so attractive, i.e. the enormous tent-like swing nightgown I made from the 80's style peaches t-shirt material. Some I just haven't photographed as of yet due to the pestilence and flooding that has ripped through the area, i.e. my new raised garden beds that were fashioned from garbage-picked 2x6's from someone's old deck.

Today I finally hit a pretty note with this sundress I made for my daughter.

This began as a remnant that Miss R. picked out for 50 cents at Joann. I also found a pair of white shoelaces in my great grandma's sewing box that are now living a new life as the straps. I'm particularly proud of this because I have not ever had a good result with stretch knits before and because I was finally able to make something happen with the Bernina Artista that has been loaned to me. I used the machine's overlock feature on the hems, side seams and arm holes. I was having some trouble with the hems for some reason but I still think it came out pretty well for a total novice.




No comments: